Home to one of Watertown’s best-known landmarks, the clock tower, the First Baptist Church dominates the eastern end of Public Square. Originally built in 1837, it was destroyed by fire 1846 and rebuilt the same year at a cost of $6,000. The church was used until it was torn down in 1891. The present church was built in 1891 using native limestone from outside the city and marble brought in from Gouverneur. The completed building, which cost about $31,000, was dedicated on September 13, 1892.